Monday, May 14, 2012

My Agenda


Speaking of excitement, it still hasn't hit me yet. I've been so busy these past few months that my focus has been on about 30 other things, none of which were the fact that I am going to Europe! Again! I'm extremely obsessive about planning and preparation, so it is shocking that I have barely started packing. Normally, my packing would have been done about two months ago (not an exaggeration). Right now I have a pile of miscellaneous clothes that I have set aside as I fold laundry. To give myself a bit more credit, I had my packing list created in December, so I was still getting an early start.
Packing with Leah is an exciting trip within itself. Everything is meticulously planned. The minor things that you would never forget are always accounted for. Each bag is sorted multiple times and there are multiple lists created and separated by category. I pack with the intent of never doing any laundry while abroad because I simply see that as a waste of my time and my money. Instead, I pack enough clothes to get me comfortably through everyday. This means lots of interchangeable layers and basics, all of which can be changed up with accessories (I mean, it's London, I have to look fabulous). Shoes tend to occupy a lot of space, and I refuse to go without nail polish and sufficient hair products. I have a lot of space accommodating to do. 
Dealing with London weather is a less messy game of Russian Roulette. London is known for its dreary, rainy days (my favorite), but the last two times I have been there it was sunny and warm. Not what I had planned on. This time I'll pack what I think I will need and buy whatever I don't have.
Which leads me right into shopping. I plan to spend every waking moment that isn't already preoccupied on shopping. Every. Moment. Shopping is one of my favorite things to do and I love the ideas and inspiration it gives me. The Seven Dials district, http://www.sevendials.co.uk/, will be my first stop. It's located in the kitschy, yet endearing. Covent Gardens district. I've been to Covent Gardens before and fell in love. It is a neat area surrounded by non-linear streets which are filled with street performers. The shops are one of a kind and have some of the most incredible art work I have ever seen. The area is just a wonderful place to get lost in for a day. I haven't made any additional plans for myself during my free periods of time. I want to just take the tube somewhere and explore what is there.
Tomorrow I will head down to Cedar Rapids and stay overnight (after doing some pre-departure shopping, of course). The next day I'll head over to the airport and be on my way. I have a lengthy layover in Chicago O'Hare, but will arrive in London at 7 a.m. on the 17th!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Leah. Vince Gotera here. English professor. I don't think we know each other but we may have seen each other in Lang Hall, maybe?

    I found your blog by following a link from the UNI homepage. I'm a blogger too, and excited about your blogging while traveling.

    Good luck. You must be in London now. And jet-lagged. I'll be following your blog. I hope others are too. Take good care!

    --Vince

    P.S. Oh, may I make a little suggestion? Skip a space between paragraphs and maybe make your paragraphs shorter. The post was a little hard to read 'cause it's such a big block of text.

    ReplyDelete